Dynamic Case Management for Life Sciences and Healthcare
Over the past decade, Princeton Blue has helped transform a variety of business processes that are critical to our customers’ businesses using the Appian low-code automation platform coupled with our thought leadership and expertise. Throughout this process, we’ve made some key observations from these project implementations, specifically within the Life Sciences and Healthcare industries. We have witnessed how these industries have adopted Low-code automation to transform their core processes and achieve impressive business outcomes. One pattern across the dozens of solutions implemented in these industries was the need for Dynamic Case Management, particularly for more strategic initiatives.
As we look at various use cases that have a significant impact on the businesses in these industries, we see a pattern. All of them needed real-time agility in terms of workflow, collaboration, process transparency, and status progression. Let’s take a deeper look at these use cases.
Drug Safety for Life Sciences
After going to market, drug companies are required to ensure that their product continues to be safe and effective, and that a rigorous and ongoing safety surveillance program is in place to support and action any safety concerns. Despite innovations in technology, the Drug Safety process in most pharmaceutical companies is still managed with multiple disparate systems that don’t talk easily to each other, combined with email, Microsoft Word and Excel for communication and collaboration. As a result, Drug Safety struggles with the following:
- The current systems in place are not flexible to support the variations in signal refinement and evaluation
- Lack of agility in the underlying applications makes it difficult to keep up with changing needs
- Phone, email, Word and Excel are often used to share information and collaborate
This makes process transparency significantly more challenging and could potentially increase risk to patient populations and create opportunities for failure to meet regulatory reporting requirements.
A Drug Safety solution powered by Appian’s Dynamic Case Management capability addresses these pain points by providing ability to define workflows that can be configured at runtime vs. the rigidity of a traditional BPM process automation.
Here are some highlights of this Drug Safety solution built using Appian’s Dynamic Case Management for our customers.
- The Safety Signal Workflow Configurator provides a flexible mechanism to dynamically configure the most effective activities for signal analysis and prioritization.
- Dynamic rules configured by business users are used to ensure timely and accurate submissions to health authorities.
- Real-time Safety Signal status tracking and progression.
- SLA monitoring configured at every step with the ability to remind and escalate as required to ensure the process is completed within the required timeframe.
- Detailed audit trail of who-did-what-when automatically captured by Appian as the process is executed.
- End-to-end visibility into Drug Safety operations via interactive and configurable dashboards and reports.
- A superior, native and consistent user experience across devices, form factors and operating systems.
With Appian’s Dynamic Case Management capability, we have helped various life sciences clients in transforming their core drug development lifecycle processes.
Emergency Response for Hospitals
On the healthcare side, we’ve been able to help improve care delivery through Appian’s Dynamic Case Management as well.
When a 911 call for a medical emergency is received, the most critical aspects can include: a fast response time; flexibility in defining the workflow to resolve the emergency; the collaboration between doctors, nurses and EMTs; and real-time visibility into the most updated information while maintaining statutory hospital SLA compliance requirements.
Today, most hospitals face the following challenges:
- Rigid, established workflows – people and/or applications cannot easily accommodate an environment where processes change in real-time based on each patient.
- Disparate systems that don’t communicate well with each other, creating information silos and visibility gaps as well as delays in decision making where every second counts.
- Productivity issues as a result of these information gaps and lack of transparency in the patient’s case.
All of this creates an environment that is non-collaborative which can adversely affect care delivery and patient outcomes.
The Dynamic Emergency Response solution addresses these pain points by automating the process with the Appian low-code automation platform. It provides flexible and dynamic workflows, real-time collaboration, live status and progression tracking, HL7-based integration with other hospital applications, and a mobile-enabled user experience so hospital staff can access the information and make decisions wherever they are. Here are the key highlights:
- The Protocol Configurator provides a flexible mechanism to dynamically configure the sequence of tests and consultations needed to address each type of emergency. This allows the treatment to be tailored to each patient.
- Real-time collaboration: All stakeholders, from the EMTs to doctors and nurses, have access in real-time to the information they need, when they need it, from the time the patient was picked up by the ambulance all the way through definitive treatment at the hospital.
- Stakeholders can collaborate in real-time via threaded discussion, replies, mentions, etc. This ensures everyone has access to the latest information relating to the patient’s case, while sharing advice, thoughts and recommendations.
- Business rules are used to drive patient-related decisions. e.g. incorporation of additional tests and consultations in case of special conditions like diabetes, hypertension, etc.
- Mobile-enabled user experience across a variety of devices from tablets to smart phones and watches. This allows healthcare professionals to focus more of their time on the patient
- Statutory and hospital SLA compliance is built-in using the process monitoring capabilities of the Appian BPM and Low-code platform. This includes sending reminders and task escalation when SLAs are at risk.
- Real-time dashboards and reports to monitor the patient cases and overall hospital performance over a period of time.
Let us know if you’d like to see a demo of Drug Safety, Dynamic Emergency Response or another accelerator developed in the Princeton Blue Innovation Lab. Other use cases where Dynamic Case Management can add value include Study Start-up and Drug Safety, amongst others. Click here to learn more about the accelerators available from our Innovation Lab. You can also use our Innovation Lab to build a FREE Proof of Concept before you invest in Appian.
These Dynamic Case Management solutions are built entirely on the Appian platform. As a reminder, Appian is a recognized leader in BPM, Case Management and Low-code. We combine all these 3 capabilities of Appian into these solutions. Princeton Blue has been an Appian partner for over 11 years and we have delivered 216 Appian projects during that time, and 47 of those Appian go-lives happened in 2019.
We hope to see you at Appian World 2020 Virtual Edition on May 12-13, 2020:
- Visit the Princeton Blue booth to see Dynamic Case Management and many other BPM, Low-code and RPA accelerators in action.
- Attend the “Dynamic Case Management for Life Sciences and Healthcare” session on Tuesday May 12, 2020 at 12-3pm.
Founder and Managing Director
Princeton Blue, Inc.