Native Mobile Apps Winning Over Mobile Web Apps
When Appian started our mobile BPM development efforts, we like everyone else had an important choice to make.
Do we optimize our web interface for mobile or build native mobile client applications?
Luckily we saw the same benefits that mobile users are seeing. Despite the wonderful developments of HTML 5, native client apps for mobile devices provide an overall superior end-user experience.
A recent Nielsen Media report on Smartphone Analytics shows that on average Android users are in agreement, spending 2/3 of their time inside native mobile apps rather web apps.
It’s an important trend that businesses need to consider when building enterprise mobile applications. Businesses will find a number of benefits in native mobile apps that equate to real efficiency gains, improve data gathering, and greater customer/employee satisfaction, such as:
Native mobile client apps deliver :
1) Faster and more responsive navigation than mobile optimized web apps.
2) Better access to unique abilities of mobile devices, such as Cameras, Voice Capture, Accelerometers, GPS Location, SMS, Telecommunications, and local file libraries.
3) Availability on Application Stores that provide better marketing exposure and increased brand awareness
4) Better security options with the ability to create custom encrypted data stores for storing content rather rely on mobile OS security, as well as control over which devices can install the app.
5) Overall better usability which can lower training costs and speed adoption.
HTML 5 shows much promise, but the smart businesses are choosing enterprise applications that use native mobile apps rather web apps to ensure successful adoption of new enterprise mobile applications.
As always, if you’d like to take Appian’s native apps for a spin, Appian Mobile apps are on the Apple, Google, and RIM BlackBerry application stores. Free trials of Appian are available on the Appian.com website.
Vice President of Product Marketing