Appian is seeking a highly motivated and tech-savvy attorney, who will serve and provide legal counsel for our Information Security team. Reporting to Appian’s Chief Information Security Officer, you will work closely with our technical team to directly lead security negotiations with customers. You will also play an important role in shaping processes to help the Legal Department scale as Appian continues to grow, and to drive important legal compliance initiatives relating to product development, privacy, and data protection.
Additionally, this position will work closely with legal reviews of modern security and privacy projects for our architecture, and provide continued support in compliance initiatives, including data usage, security, and commercial and government contracts.
About the Job:
- Responsible for reviewing and negotiation of complex customer security requirements.
- Represent Appian on calls and communications with Appian’s customers and prospects to explain Appian’s security posture and to negotiate information security terms.
- Provide counsel and trusted legal advice to engineers, product managers, and security specialists on Appian’s platform, including compliance with applicable data security and privacy laws and regulations, security by design, and security frameworks and industry certifications.
- Provide practice business judgement when negotiating global agreements with service providers and technology partners, while advising executive leaders on updated policies and terms.
- Collaborate with engineers and compliance professionals to develop and iterate on legal-security processes, including updates to security policies, plans, procedures, and organisational standards.
- Work cross functionally with Legal and technical teams to create disclosure of term agreements based on Appian’s product terms and stance on privacy and data security.
- Develop and facilitate employee training based on new legal developments and industry specific regulations within PaaS, IaaS, and SaaS.
- Juris Doctor degree and admitted to practice in at least one US jurisdiction required 2+ years combined experience in law firm, government, and/or in-house legal department, preferably in the technology industry, with significant relevant transactional and cloud technology counseling experience (PaaS or SaaS deployment model experience preferred)
- Demonstrated experience with key regulatory requirements in the SaaS/Paas/IaaS space, including privacy, data protection and security issues is required
- High work precision, with strong ability to redline and negotiate complex customer security agreements.
- Comfortable as the primary legal adviser to multiple stakeholders such as security and engineering groups in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
- Bonus: Expertise in global security, privacy, and regulatory frameworks, for example: NIST, ISO, FedRAMP, PCI-DSS, GDPR, CCPA, CPRA, or HIPAA.
Appian makes building complex software simple. We’ve built our low-code platform from the ground up with the power to address some of the world’s toughest business problems. It’s exciting and challenging work with exciting and fulfilling rewards. It takes the right person…is that you?
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at ReasonableAccommodations@appian.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.