Appian is growing and so is our Appian Data Server squad! Our team is building a modern database to optimize both transactional and analytical workloads on dynamic schemas for our customers. We are looking for brilliant engineering leaders like yourself to build out and expand our core data and integration services. This is a servant/leader role so you should be comfortable (and excited) to be coding up to 50% of the time.
Building a platform forces us to think abstractly, and write code that will scale no matter the shape of the customer's data. That makes for more interesting and challenging design problems.
- Data is your passion. You’re an efficient and elegant coder, ideally with 10+ years of strong experience in Java, C++ or the like
- You are experienced in designing and implementing highly available and mission critical distributed systems
- You are fearless at jumping into production environments to address customers' urgent issues.
- Data structures & algorithms excite you; you thrive on solving complex problems within large high-performant real-time distributed data systems
- Principles and fundamentals are important to you
- You are open to work with any programming language paradigm
- You want to work with other passionate engineers who care about innovation, efficiency, and collaboration
- You care about fostering a culture of learning, growth, and career development for software engineers
- Hands on technical leadership and collaboration to grow and maintain Appian’s world-class platform through Agile methodologies and tools
- Effectively manage, develop, and guide up to 6 direct reports through mentoring and coaching
- Partner with the Talent Acquisition team to hire great talent and provide input for creating staffing plans with departmental leadership
- Be an agent for change, at both the team and departmental level.
- Performance of HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as timesheet approval, communication of raises and bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level: 10+ years in software development, with 2+ years as a mentor or manager
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.