Managers of Product Engineering provide technical leadership in Appian solution development and are responsible for the professional growth and development of engineers working in that layer. As an engineering manager, they provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring and coaching to a small group of product engineers to improve their skills while also handling general HR management responsibilities. Managers are servant-leaders who should enjoy helping groups succeed. They spend roughly 75% of their time as a developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.) and 25% managing direct reports. If an MPE is also in the role of a Squad Coach, their time as a developer is expected to be reduced (to roughly 30%).
- Leverage deep technical understanding of the Appian platform, data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write applications and solutions in existing Appian frameworks (SAIL, Process Models, Rules, Expressions, and all Appian Objects) and light full-stack and mobile development.
- Leverage relevant application development experience to instill best practices in design and architecture, and increase development speed.
- Apply knowledge of the Appian platform, from design to underlying architecture, and effective code reviews and technical feedback.
- Contribute to application performance analysis and system tuning.
- Participate in story breakdowns, acceptance criteria definition, technical architecture and design, code review, and automated test development
- Effectively manage up to 6 direct reports through mentoring, coaching, and guiding them in their career paths and foster a culture of learning and growth.
- Perform HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as time management, communication of raises and bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level: 6+ years in Appian application development, with 1+ years as a mentor or manager
Education: B.S. in a technical discipline (preferably Computer Science) or related field, advanced degree preferred
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.