What is Appian? It’s a low-code application platform that lets business people build powerful enterprise web and mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code.
Appian’s vision is to unite people, process, and data in a seamless platform for low-code automation across the enterprise. Data is a critical part of any application but unfortunately, most businesses are hamstrung by their data being spread across their enterprise. The Appian platform provides app developers with a rich set of capabilities for bringing data together and letting users easily interact with data regardless of where it is stored.
The goal of the Modern Records Group is to make it easy for developers to quickly build powerful, complex, and performant data-driven applications. We work with the customer's data, whether it be in traditional databases, web services or third party tools like Salesforce. We then layer on top of that our "Appian Data Service" which adds additional features that let the customer easily extend their data, join across sources, handle complex security, and create powerful UIs and reports.
Building an app development framework that satisfies power users as well as beginners is extremely challenging. We need smart, passionate and innovative engineers to help us continue to improve our data-centric app development capabilities and ensure they are intuitive, fast, and flexible.
Senior Managers of Software Development (SMSD) ensure the continued high performance of a medium-sized group of software engineers and work with Technical Mentors (TMSDs) and Managers (MSDs) to ensure the growth of employees within a specific technology layer. SMSDs provide mentoring and career coaching to their direct reports and help their teams deliver on-time and with high quality. SMSDs spend around 50 of their time as a hands-on developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.). If an SMSD is also in the role of a Squad Coach, their time as a developer is expected to be closer to 25%.
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack web and mobile environment.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development.
- Deep technical understanding in a specific technology layer or area of the product, providing effective code reviews and technical feedback.
- Effectively manage up to 12 direct reports through mentoring and coaching, including Technical Mentors of Software Development, Managers of Software Development, Senior and Lead Agile Coaches, and various levels of Software Engineers. SMSDs will usually spend up to 50% of their time managing direct reports depending on how many direct reports they have.
- Develop and guide the career paths of direct reports.
- Create staffing plans with departmental leadership.
- Be an agent for change, at both the team and departmental level.
- Foster a culture of learning and growth.
- Performance of HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as timesheet approval, communication of raises and bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level: 8+ years in software development, with 2+ years as an manager
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.