Do you enjoy crafting powerful UIs that provide a delightful customer experience? Does the notion of building a product that empowers users around the globe sound compelling? Do you lead by example, and have a passion for coaching & mentorship? If the answers are yes, come talk to us about our Appian Experience Tribe!
Managers of Software Development provide technical leadership in a specific technology layer or area of the product and are responsible for the professional growth and development of engineers working in that layer. As an engineering manager, they provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring and coaching to a small group of junior software engineers to improve their skills in a specific technology layer while also handling general HR management responsibilities. Managers are servant/leaders who should enjoy helping groups succeed. They spend roughly 75% of their time as a developer (technical design, writing code, code reviews, etc.) and 25% managing direct reports. If an MSD is also in the role of a Squad Coach, their time as a developer is expected to be reduced (to roughly 30%). The ideal candidate will want to cultivate and fuel a passion in their direct reports for developing beautiful, functional, and accessible UI components for the Appian platform.
- Leverage knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns to write software in a full-stack web and mobile environment.
- Applies thoughtful interactive and visual design principles for a positive and cohesive user experience.
- Leverage relevant software development experience to radiate best practices and faster development.
- Deep technical understanding in a specific technology layer or area of the product, providing effective code reviews and technical feedback.
- Effectively manage up to 6 direct reports through mentoring and coaching.
- Develop and guide the career paths of direct reports.
- Provide input to create staffing plans with departmental leadership.
- Be an agent for change, at both the team and departmental level.
- Foster a culture of learning and growth.
- Perform HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as timesheet approval, communication of raises and bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level: 6+ years in software development, with 1+ years as a mentor or manager
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred
Appian helps organizations build apps and workflows rapidly, with a low-code automation platform. Combining people, technologies, and data in a single workflow, Appian can help companies maximize their resources and improve business results. Many of the world’s largest organizations use Appian applications to improve customer experience, achieve operational excellence, and simplify global risk management and compliance. Our employees create opportunities to drive hands-on impact both with our customers and throughout the organization, which creates an environment where meaningful work is met with career growth and opportunity. As a result, we are proud to have been recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace for seven consecutive years. Simply put, we are changing the way businesses operate and our employees are to thank for Appian’s success.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.