The Manager oversees the content production process for online learning and is responsible for driving day-to-day content development activities using the ADDIE model. Activities include: ensuring content aligns with Appian’s competency model framework, reviewing course scripts and providing feedback on accuracy and structure; reviewing storyboards to ensure consistency across contributors and adherence to development standards; review of final course output for quality and flow within a curriculum. The Manager of Training Development is also an individual contributor, working with SMEs to understand topics and developing course assets. Approximate time spent across activities: 25% developing content; 50% providing feedback to other ISDs, and 25% on management-related activities.
The ideal candidate should be extremely detail-oriented and have experience with e-learning, curriculum development, and various learning methodologies in a technical field.
- Design and maintain the technical competencies through needs analyses and product feature changes.
- Act as a product SME to design, develop, and evaluate online training to support the technical competency framework.
- Manage instructional design team members; ensure adherence to procedures, course development timelines, and consistent/appropriate use of project management and activity tracking tools (e.g., JIRA).
- Guide ISDs on the scope and definition of course objectives and lesson outlines.
- Review and edit content for accuracy, quality, and consistency and ensure adherence to content development procedures.
- Work with SMEs across departments to understand product features and implementation best practices.
- Design assessments and create and leverage feedback mechanisms to analyze the quality of existing content and develop training solutions that better meet customer needs.
- Research industry technologies, methods, and benchmarks for better and more effective approaches to content development, delivery, and outcomes.
- Utilize best practices and learning management strategies to maximize user experience and knowledge transfer.
- Collaborate with the L&D team to manage the learning management system (LMS), and work with the SMTD/media production team to ensure the the user experience is modern and that content is easy to access and navigate.
- Support and triage customer account and log-in issues.
Preferred Experience Level:
- 5-7 years of experience with content development and/or technical instruction
- 3-5 years of management experience.
- The ideal candidate should have strong communication and excellent writing skills and be able to perform well under pressure to meet challenging deadlines.
- Experience with SCORM, Tin-Can, xAPI, Captivate, Articulate, Snagit, LMS administration, ADDIE, content scripting, storyboarding, and editing.
Education: B.S. in E-Learning, Education, Instructional Design or related field/degree
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.