Are you passionate about producing crazy good documentation, making sophisticated product capabilities easy to understand and use? Are you incredibly organized and love helping your team plan, create, deliver and improve content? Do you seek to make an impact on both people and product? At Appian, Managers of Technical Writing (Information Development) provide not only hands on technical leadership, but also create situations to ignite the professional growth and success of individuals on their teams. As a hands-on writer, you will help us deliver world-class documentation using modern technologies in a fast-paced software engineering department. As a manager, you will provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring, coaching, and career development to a group of brilliant information developers. What is Appian? It’s a low-code application platform that lets business people build powerful enterprise web and mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code.
- You like to play with the technology you write about, and have a strong or varied technical background
- You are able to provide rationale for the content decisions you make, and are able to articulate them for the benefit of others
- You have strong interpersonal skills, and enjoy working with other, passionate writers
- You are always looking for ways to improve yourself and the people and processes you interact with
- You care about fostering a culture of learning, growth, and career development for writers
- You are currently a hands-on writer, and are comfortable remaining hands-on up to 50% of the time
- Effectively manage, develop, and guide up to 3 direct reports through mentoring and coaching
- Owns the documentation roadmap and prioritized backlog for one or more significant areas of the documentation
- Produce high-quality documentation that supports our users and our product strategy
- Ensure fulfillment of our content strategy through articulate reviews, examples, and guided revision
- Look for opportunities to explore and experiment with novel documentation technologies, processes, and styles
- Collaborate with product managers to determine the best strategy for documenting new and innovative product features
Preferred Experience Level: 7+ years of writing and delivering compelling, technical documentation for complex software, with 3+ years in a senior role, with demonstrated leadership or mentoring experience.
Education: B.A. or B.S. degree in Professional and Technical Writing (or related field/degree)