Appian is looking for a Corporate Tax Manager to lead activities related to income tax accounting, global compliance and reporting, and controls. The Corporate Tax Manager will have the opportunity to work across all tax areas in a global tax function.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and coordinate the preparation of all aspects of global tax accounting and reporting, including the quarterly and annual tax provision process and tax sections of the SEC reporting and footnote disclosures.
- Manage the income tax compliance process, including preparation and review of the federal, state, and foreign income tax returns and extensions prepared by outsourcing partners.
- Prepare state apportionment calculations including analyzing state apportionment data and research state apportionment rules to ensure compliance with state laws.
- Perform transfer pricing calculations and work with advisors to ensure compliance with global transfer pricing documentation requirements including country-by-country reporting.
- Handle tax audits and respond to other inquiries. Maintain current, audit-ready work papers and financial records for all filings.
- Determine and calculate tax credit opportunities including federal and state R&D credits.
- Maintain analysis of tax general ledger accounts and prepare tax account reconciliations.
- Perform project-oriented tax research and analysis and maintain technical expertise over new and relevant tax pronouncements across all tax areas.
- Research and evaluate the tax effects of entering new markets (income, VAT, withholding tax, compliance, etc.) and work with local advisors to ensure that all requirements are met. Partner with Director to advise the leadership team on the global tax implications of business activities.
- Assist with sales and use, property tax, gross receipts, and business license filings, as necessary.
- Work on new business initiatives including those in tax technology and automation to make the compliance and reporting process more efficient.
- Collaborate and work closely with accounting, legal, sales, and human resources.
- No direct supervision of staff
- May require some indirect supervision of staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting and CPA certification required.
- MS in Accounting or Taxation or JD preferred but not required.
- 5+ years of ASC 740 tax accounting experience required.
- Public accounting and software company experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with NetSuite and Vertex are a plus, but not required.
- Friendly and strong communication skills, both orally and written, is required for regular and frequent interaction with sales and legal personnel, senior management, and outside auditors.
- Energetic and very collaborative attitude with demonstrated ability to work in a team setting in a fast paced and deadline-driven environment.
- Exceptionally strong tax accounting knowledge required
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required
- Ability to respond to inquiries from management, customers and external auditors
- Ability to think and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work in an area requiring special attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Willingness to grow and take on more responsibilities as required.
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co‐worker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.