Dynamic Case Management for Life Sciences and Healthcare
Over the past decade, Princeton Blue has helped transform a variety of business processes that are critical to our customers’ businesses using the Appian low-code automation platform coupled with our thought leadership and expertise. Throughout this process, we’ve made some key observations from these project implementations, specifically within the Life Sciences and Healthcare industries. We have witnessed how these industries have adopted Low-code automation to transform their core processes and achieve impressive business outcomes. One pattern across the dozens of solutions implemented in these industries was the need for Dynamic Case Management, particularly for more strategic initiatives.
As we look at various use cases that have a significant impact on the businesses in these industries, we see a pattern. All of them needed real-time agility in terms of workflow, collaboration, process transparency, and status progression. Let’s take a deeper look at these use cases.
Label Management for Life Sciences
Despite the innovation in technology, the Label Change Management process in most life sciences companies is still managed with multiple disparate systems, including email, along with a variety of human tasks and activities. For most life sciences companies, the Label Change management process has the following pain points:
- Complex regulatory approvals from regulatory authorities in various countries.
- Differing regulatory requirements and hard-wired, country-specific workflows that can result in inefficient routing, review and approval of label changes.
- Country-specific label change requests are executed in each country with limited global visibility.
- Handling a large number of documents required for regulatory filing.
- Lack of effective and deep collaboration between the stakeholders across borders.
- Hard-coded business rules that are difficult to modify and adapt to the needs of each label change.
- Difficulty tracking activities that are executed manually and maintaining SLAs.
A label management solution powered by Appian’s Dynamic Case Management capability addresses these pain points by orchestrating the end-to-end process that spans all countries and unifies data across borders. With this, Appian provides real-time visibility into change requests globally.
Here are some highlights of this label management solution built using Appian Dynamic Case Management for our customers.
- End-to-end process automation with the flexibility to define and manage country-specific workflows dynamically.
- Dynamic rules configured by business users are used to drive as per the need of the specific country and type of change.
- Real-time tracking of the status of a Label Change request globally with drill down details for each country.
- SLA monitoring configured at every step with the ability to remind and escalate as required to ensure the process is completed within the required timeframe.
- Detailed audit trail of who-did-what-when automatically captured by Appian as the process is executed.
- End-to-end visibility into labeling operations via interactive and configurable dashboards and reports.
- A superior, native and consistent user experience across devices, form factors and operating systems.
With Appian’s Dynamic Case Management capability, we have helped various life sciences clients in transforming their label change management process.
Emergency Response for Hospitals
On the healthcare side, we’ve been able to help improve care delivery through Appian’s Dynamic Case Management as well.
When a 911 call for a medical emergency is received, the most critical aspects can include: a fast response time; flexibility in defining the workflow to resolve the emergency; the collaboration between doctors, nurses and EMTs; and real-time visibility into the most updated information while maintaining statutory hospital SLA compliance requirements.
Today, most hospitals face the following challenges:
- Rigid, established workflows – people and/or applications cannot easily accommodate an environment where processes change in real-time based on each patient.
- Disparate systems that don’t communicate well with each other, creating information silos and visibility gaps as well as delays in decision making where every second counts.
- Productivity issues as a result of these information gaps and lack of transparency in the patient’s case.
All of this creates an environment that is non-collaborative which can adversely affect care delivery and patient outcomes.
The Dynamic Emergency Response solution addresses these pain points by automating the process with the Appian low-code automation platform. It provides flexible and dynamic workflows, real-time collaboration, live status and progression tracking, HL7-based integration with other hospital applications, and a mobile-enabled user experience so hospital staff can access the information and make decisions wherever they are. Here are the key highlights:
- The Protocol Configurator provides a flexible mechanism to dynamically configure the sequence of tests and consultations needed to address each type of emergency. This allows the treatment to be tailored to each patient.
- Real-time collaboration: All stakeholders, from the EMTs to doctors and nurses, have access in real-time to the information they need, when they need it, from the time the patient was picked up by the ambulance all the way through definitive treatment at the hospital.
- Stakeholders can collaborate in real-time via threaded discussion, replies, mentions, etc. This ensures everyone has access to the latest information relating to the patient’s case, while sharing advice, thoughts and recommendations.
- Business rules are used to drive patient-related decisions. e.g. incorporation of additional tests and consultations in case of special conditions like diabetes, hypertension, etc.
- Mobile-enabled user experience across a variety of devices from tablets to smart phones and watches. This allows healthcare professionals to focus more of their time on the patient
- Statutory and hospital SLA compliance is built-in using the process monitoring capabilities of the Appian BPM and Low-code platform. This includes sending reminders and task escalation when SLAs are at risk.
- Real-time dashboards and reports to monitor the patient cases and overall hospital performance over a period of time.
Let us know if you’d like to see a demo of the Label Management or Dynamic Emergency Response solutions built using Appian’s Dynamic Case Management capabilities. Other use cases where Dynamic Case Management has added value include Study Start-up and Drug Safety, amongst others. Click here to learn more.
Appian’s low-code automation platform is well-equipped to build such Dynamic Case Management solutions quickly. Princeton Blue has delivered 216 Appian projects over the past 11 years, with 47 of them in 2019 alone.
We hope to see you at Appian World 2020 in Florida:
- Visit our booth 409 to see Dynamic Case Management in action.
- Attend the “Dynamic Case Management for Life Sciences and Healthcare” session on Monday, March 9, 2020 at 12:30pm.
Founder and Managing Director
Princeton Blue, Inc.