Consider the Entire Life Cycle When Choosing an App Development Platform
Application development platforms are gaining momentum as organizations strive to create proprietary apps quickly to become more responsive to industry demands. Cloud app development platforms, for example, can empower organizations to use low-code technology to create unique apps based on business demands without having to write millions of lines of code. Instead, they simply pick and choose between pre-packaged groups of code in order to customize an app.
While app platforms are an extremely exciting prospect for businesses, there are also plenty of issues that companies should keep in mind when choosing the right solution for their specific needs. A recent TechTarget report explained that competition in the app development platform market is heating up, making it more difficult to choose a solution. The ability to improve functionality over the entire life cycle of the app is a key consideration when evaluating solutions.
“Rolling out proprietary apps isn’t just about creating them quickly.”
The app life cycle challenge
Rolling out proprietary apps isn’t just about creating them quickly. You must also handle testing, get them into production, update them over time, and optimize them for delivery across a wide range of devices. The news source explained that organizations that are considering app platforms need to think beyond the core development functions and also think about how the solution will impact operations throughout the app’s life.
Using BPM to extend the reach of app platforms
Housing development platform capabilities within a business process management software suite makes it easier to optimize apps for functionality throughout their life cycle in a variety of ways, including:
- Providing process automation so your IT teams can operate efficiently across all app-related tasks
- Incorporating responsive design principles to ensure the interface works well on a wide range of device types
- Integrating business processes into app capabilities to ensure development decisions align with end-user demands
- Working from a base of code that already functions well in production to simplify testing and deployment
- Unifying record keeping in the background so apps can easily access data connected to diverse processes in secure, streamlined ways
The core function of BPM solutions—driving business efficiency by bringing people, technology, and processes together—aligns naturally with app development platforms. The result is an operational climate in which organizations are able to manage their apps across their entire life cycle without hassle, driving value creation, and ensuring apps and services align with end-user demands.