Processes Must Evolve as Mobile-First Becomes a Way of Life
The idea of running a business or developing technology solutions with a mobile-first attitude may be a somewhat new phenomenon, but it could be time to pick up the pace. Smartphones and tablets have become ubiquitous parts of modern lifestyles. Organizations must respond by aligning their business processes, customer experiences and technological capabilities with a mobile-first world.
Looking at the pervasiveness of mobile devices
People aren’t just buying and using smartphones and tablets for casual use, they are using the devices as core components of their everyday lives. Deloitte recently released its “2016 Global Mobile Consumer Survey: U.S. Edition,” and found that mobile devices have become extremely pervasive. A few key findings include:
- Approximately 62 percent of people check their smartphones for the first time within 15 minutes of waking up in the morning
- Text and instant messaging have overtaken email as the first thing individuals tend to access on their phones each day, with 35 percent of respondents saying they look at texts or instant messages first when they grab their phones for the day. Just 29 percent started using their phones for the day with these messages in 2014
- Ownership has been on the rise considerably for smartphones (77 percent of people have one), tablets (59 percent) and smart watches (12 percent). Fitness bands and virtual reality headsets are also gaining steam – approximately 8 percent of respondents said they own VR headsets
- Mobile devices have become so pervasive that 93 percent of those polled said they use mobile devices for shopping, work, relaxing, talking with friends and family and even while crossing the road
- People end their days with their phones as well, with 54 percent of respondents saying they check their phones within 15 minutes of getting ready to go to sleep
“Businesses are facing pressure to move away from legacy technologies.”
Responding to a mobile-first world
With smartphones and tablets becoming a dominant part of everyday life, businesses are facing pressure to move away from legacy technologies and operational models. Digitizing business processes is critical in such an environment as organizations that can operate in digital channels can engage customers on any device with equal ease. Building operations around digital solutions can be disruptive, but a digital transformation platform brings together app platform and process optimization capabilities to empower mobile workers and customers alike.
Becoming a mobile-first business isn’t just about smartphones and tablets. Instead, organizations must align data, processes and people across diverse channels.
Capitalize on the mobile revolution
Because the only thing we can count on is the ever-changing pace of technology and business you need to prepare your business for the next big technology-driven change in your industry.
Download the Enterprise Mobility and Beyond whitepaper to learn how to adapt in a constantly changing world.