Appian Reports Strong 2013 Performance
86 Percent Increase in Total Software License Orders and 90 Percent Cloud License Revenue Growth Over 2012
RESTON, Va.—January 20, 2014—Appian, the market leader in modern business process management (BPM) software, today announced its 2013 performance results. The company saw an 86 percent increase in total software license orders over 2012 for the Appian Suite. While Appian delivers full functionality on-premise and in the cloud, with complete portability between deployment environments, the company is increasingly trending towards being a cloud business. Appian’s cloud license revenue grew 90 percent year over year, and total subscription-based license orders (cloud and on-premise term licenses) have grown at a 119 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) 2010-2013. Appian signed nearly 70 new-name customers in 2013.
“Appian customers are focused on accelerating smarter actions to grow the business and enhance the customer experience,” said Matt Calkins, president and CEO of Appian. “Appian supports a new way of working through our Work Platform that delivers tight integration of data, process, mobility and social collaboration.”
Appian’s expansion of the boundaries of BPM to the emerging Work Platform market drove growth on two fronts: Appian solidified its leadership position in traditional BPM markets such as Financial Services, Insurance and Government, and also attracted customers in markets new to BPM such as Retail, Pharmaceuticals, Transportation and Logistics, Healthcare, and Energy/Utilities. Many new and established Appian customers will tell their stories at the Appian World 2014 Conference (April 30-May 2 in Washington, DC). There, they will explain their use of Appian as a modern Work Platform powering core operations to accelerate business performance and customer engagement.
Appian’s international growth in 2013 was strong. International revenues (primarily from Western Europe, Australia and Brazil) grew more than 70 percent over 2012, and contributed more than 30 percent of overall company revenues. To support this growth, Appian expanded on-the-ground staff in its EMEA regional headquarters in London (as well as in new offices in France and Germany) and in Australia (via Appian’s Sydney regional headquarters and Melbourne office), while growing its partner network in Latin America and around the world. Globally, Appian added 150 new employees to the company in 2013.
Appian drove BPM software innovation to new heights in 2013. With Appian 7, the company pioneered a new way to overcome data silo limitations and speed smarter decisions and actions through its Appian Records functionality. With Appian SAIL (Self-Assembling Interface Layer), the company delivered the industry’s most responsive and interactive user interfaces. These innovations complement previous Appian “market firsts” such as native mobile apps, a zero-training social interface, on-premise/cloud portability, real-time in-memory analytics and reporting, and more.
Appian has already continued to drive new BPM software innovation in 2014 with the January 2014 release of the latest version of Appian 7. In this latest release, Appian continues to advance its core features for social engagement, dynamic user interfaces for the web and mobile, integration into enterprise systems, and BPM task management. Some of the highlights include:
- Expansion of Appian SAIL UI architecture and capabilities
- Improved document sharing in Appian social activity stream
- Advanced task management features
- Expanded integration frameworks
- Enhancements to Appian Rule authoring, security management, and plug-in development
- Integration with Microsoft SharePoint 2013 (as an add-on module)
2013 Industry Awards and Recognition
- Gartner, Inc. gave Appian Cloud a “Strong Positive” rating (the highest rating possible) in the research firm’s “MarketScope for Business Process Management Platform as a Service” report (by M. Cantara, et al, November 15, 2013)
- Gartner, Inc. featured Appian customer Crawford & Company in a case study report on Mobile BPM excellence (Gartner, Inc. “BPM Reinvents Mobile Work,” by B. Robertson, November 13, 2013)
- Forrester Research named Appian a “Leader” in the “Forrester Wave™: BPM Suites, Q1 2013” report (by C. Richardson and D. Miers, March 2013)
- Forrester Research recognized Appian as a “Leader” in the “Forrester Wave™: Smart Process Applications, Q2 2013” report (by A. Bartels and C. Moore, April 2013)
- IDC published a case study on Appian customer EDP Renewables success in driving intelligent processes management (“Wind Farm Uses Appian to Manage and Minimize Turbine Problems,” by M. Fleming, June 2013)
- MWD Advisors’ comparative report of BPM vendors stated, “Appian continues to forge BPM application deployment innovations that bring social and mobile engagement right into the center of process operations” (“BPM Technology Review 2013: Vendor Comparison Report,” by N. Ward-Dutton, July 2013)
Appian received accolades for being a “Best Place to Work” both regionally and nationally from the Washington Business Journal and Indeed.com, the #1 job site in the world. The company was named one of the “Rising 10 of 2013” by Homeland Security Today in its annual ranking of the top companies that produce the products and services needed to secure the nation. For the sixth year, the Appian BPM Suite was named a “Trend-setting Product” by the KMWorld judging panel, and as well as being one of KMWorld’s “100 Companies That Matter.” Appian CEO Matt Calkins was also honored as a Washington, D.C.-area “Tech Titan” by The Washingtonian.
Appian delivers an enterprise platform for digital transformation that enables organizations to revolutionize their customer experience, optimize their business operations, and master global risk and compliance. Powered by industry leading Business Process Management (BPM) and Case Management capabilities, Appian’s low-code approach radically accelerates the time it takes to build and deploy powerful, modern applications, on-premises or in the cloud. For more information, visit www.appian.com.