Appian Delivers Comprehensive Mobile BPM
New Enhancements Include Mobile Image/Document Capture and Improved Security
RESTON, Va.—June 29, 2011— Appian, the global innovator in enterprise and cloud-based business process management (BPM) software, today announced enhancements to its mobile BPM capabilities. Earlier this year, Appian became the first BPM software vendor to deliver native mobile BPM for Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Google Android and RIM Blackberry devices. Mobile BPM allows employees across all levels of an organization to stay connected, informed and empowered to make important business decisions and take business action regardless of where they are. With its recent round of enhancements, including mobile image and document capture within process, Appian continues to drive BPM innovation.
“With healthcare increasingly being delivered outside a traditional hospital setting, IT mobility is a key aspect of emerging healthcare solutions,” said Abhishek Agrawal, co-founder of psHEALTH, an Appian customer and OEM partner. “Using Appian, we have easily integrated highly-useable full-function mobile applications into our internal development process, and into the solutions we deliver to our healthcare provider customers.”
According to research firm Gartner, Inc., “Mobile Internet use is expected to explode during the next five years, and, by 2013, mobile phones will overtake PCs as the most common Web access device worldwide.” (Gartner, “HTML5 and the Modern Web,” July, 2010). Forrester Research Inc. states, “66% of information workers in North America and Europe already work remotely… Yet the most mobile employees also spend the most time looking for information necessary to do their jobs, draining productivity.” (Forrester Research, “Demystifying the Mobile Workforce,” June 2011).
New enhancements to Appian’s mobile BPM include:
- Mobile Image/Document Capture: Appian now extends its native content management to a mobile world. Users can take a picture or upload a document directly into a process from their mobile device. An insurance adjuster, for example, can snap an image of a claim site that can be tied to the full lifecycle of the claim. These documents or images can then be stored in Appian’s content management system and managed like any other content.
- Mobile Tasks: Mobile access to key information and tasks, and the ability to take action regardless of location, is more critical than ever to keep business processes moving. Appian allows access to task lists and actions from a mobile device to make important decisions while on the go.
- Mobile Security: Mobile apps delivered on the Appian BPM Suite ensure safe and secure mobile participation in critical business processes. Appian’s mobile BPM features secure network communication and authentication, encrypted local data storage, and remote account disablement in the event of a lost or stolen device.
- Private-label Branding: Appian provides private-labeled distributions of the native client applications in the public application stores for each mobile platform, or through private distribution to enterprise devices. Appian’s private-labeled versions provide all the same features to access enterprise business processes, with a user experience that is entirely branded to the customer or partner organization.
- Platform Independence: Appian allows developers to create a process application once and instantly deploy to every major mobile platform. Designers use simple drag and drop design tools with no requirement to know complex development tools for each mobile device. Appian’s Mobile App is available for immediate download from each of the respective app stores (Apple App Store, BlackBerry App World, and Google Android Market).
Eliminating the Cost of Mobile Application Development
IT organizations face daunting challenges in moving to the world of mobility. One is the enormous cost of developing mobile applications, estimated to range from $20,000 to $150,000 per application. Another is the need for the new interface and usability development skills that mobile applications require.
According to Forrester Research, “Unfortunately, too few application development teams appreciate the value of mobile user experience design. Many application development teams…wrongly focus on designing for a smaller screen size, ignoring other key design factors.” (Forrester Research, “Mobile App Design Best Practices,” April 2011).
In stark contrast to alternative development methods, Appian delivers mobile access to enterprise process applications with no additional development costs. Business process analysts can create and publish secure mobile process applications without the assistance of a separate mobile developer. In addition, Appian mobile apps use an intuitive and familiar social interface that drives usability while masking great power and deep back-end integrations to enterprise systems.
“Mobility is a key inflection point in enterprise IT,” said Matt Calkins, CEO and President of Appian. “Appian provides an ideal on-ramp for organizations to cost-effectively tap the power of mobility by expanding process participation across the organization, increasing agility and reducing bottlenecks, and meeting the evolving expectations of employees and customers.”
Appian delivers an enterprise platform for digital transformation that makes it easy for organizations to move fast and revolutionize the customer experience. Powered by industry leading Business Process Management (BPM) and Case Management capabilities, Appian’s low-code approach radically accelerates the time it takes to build and deploy powerful, modern applications, on-premises or in the cloud. The world’s most innovative organizations use Appian to revolutionize their customer experiences, transform their business operations, and master global risk and compliance.